Every permanent resident of Iran above the age of 15, whether a citizen or not, must hold a valid National Identity (NID) Card or at least obtain their National Identification Number from any of the local Vital Records branches of the Ministry of Interior.
In order to apply for an NID Card, the applicant must be at least 15 years old and have their photograph attached to their Certificate of Identity- which is done by the Vital Records.
Starting June 21, 2008, the NID Cards are compulsory for many things in Iran and Iranian Missions abroad (e.g. obtaining a passport, driver’s licence, any banking procedure,etc.)
The Iranian National ID card is an Identification document issuable for all Iranian Nationals above and including 15 years of age. This ID document is valid for a period of 7 years, and is issued in the following situations:
- Applying for a first National ID card.
- Need for replacement for consistency with recently modified Birth Certificate personal details (name, surname,..)
- Need for replacement due to change in address residence
- Replacement for a lost National ID Card
- Replacement for a damaged National ID Card
- Expiry of old National ID card
- A filled out copy of application form [no. 270]
- Original copy and a photocopy of all pages of the applicant’s Iranian Birth Certificate(Shenasname).
- Two 3x4cm (Including a full face, front view, open eyes, without a hat, glasses or neck scarves, with the exception of headscarves(hijab for women)). [The individual’s personal details must be inscribed on the back of every piece of photo]
- Referring to the embassy in person and submitting the required documents.
NOTE: If the applicant is not aware of his/her National ID card number, then s/he is not required to necessarily fill out the respective field in form no.270.
The received documents for obtaining your National ID card, will be transferred to the National Civil Registrations Organization, and upon subsequent issuance of the ID card, it will be delivered to the applicant.